Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Author Interview: Robin Spano: Who Gets Hurt By Duplicity And Selfishness In World

She is a crime thriller writer from Toronto. She lives in Vancouver. Her writing career started in 2010 and so far she has three crime fictions to her credit. All her books have been well acclaimed increasing her readers and fans with addition of each of her book. Discussing about books is her favorite pastime but her husband is never a part of these discussions as he doesn't like reading books at all.

A very warm welcome to Robin Spano on my blog on behalf of all her readers and fans. Let us grab this opportunity to know Robin a little deeper.

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood


RS - I've always loved being outside. When I was three or four, I liked to pick up garter snakes and creep out the adults while they were drinking beer at the cottage. When I was six my parents bought me a blow-up dinghy and I liked to row around the lake on my own and (sometimes) give rides to my sister and our friends. I was thrilled when my dad gave me clearance to drive the motor boat alone, age 12. As a teenager, I loved canoeing into the back lakes with a sandwich and a notebook where I'd write fiction (or sometimes bad poetry). And my all time favorite--all ages--was taking out the sailboat (a little 2-man thing) on a super windy day, fighting the wind until invariably it was too much for me and I'd tip over, and my dad (watching from the dock) would come rescue me in the motor boat.


About your education


RS - It was going really well until I dropped out halfway through my university physics degree. I loved school. Loved learning. But when I was done, I was done.


What career did you plan during your education days?


RS - I had a million different ambitions, from being a subway driver (I loved standing in the front car of the train as it rode through tunnels, thought it would be great to get paid for that) to owning the New York Yankees to writing fiction.


What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?


RS - Still the same as answer #1: Being outside. I can be having the most grumbly, gruesome day, and if I throw on gardening clothes and spend an hour pulling weeds, things will be right again. In the winter, I'll often sneak off for a half-day of snowboarding and come back to my desk full of things to write about. In the summer, my husband will often come home early and we'll catch a few hours of boating before dinner. Being outside and active resets me. And it reminds me how great life is.


What hurts you most in this world?


RS - Duplicity. Selfishness. The fact that so many people don't operate with a decent code of ethics. So many problems in the world could be solved if people treated each other with integrity. I don't understand why this isn't self-evident.


What is the biggest challenge you have faced? Were you able to overcome it? How?


RS - Self-doubt. It's a silent killer. I don't always overcome it but when I see it, I do what I can to squash it.


If you had to live a day of your life as a living or dead personality, who would it be and why?


RS - Winston Churchill. I love his blunt honesty and I'd love the opportunity to speak my mind so boldly to a bunch of sleazy parliament members.


What is your favorite genre and why?


RS - Right now, I like reading thrillers and women's fiction. Mostly because my work in progress combines the two.


What is the purpose of your writing?


RS - The internal purpose (for me) is to make sense of the world. The external purpose (for readers) is to turn pages and entertain. I think that balance makes for some fun and interesting reading.


Which of your work published so far?


RS - I have 3 novels in a mystery series: Dead Politician Society, Death Plays Poker, and the latest (my favorite) Death's Last Run.


What are your forthcoming writings?


RS - Well if I ever finish it, it will be this women's fiction thriller.


What are your future plans?


RS - To keep writing, keep learning, and eventually maybe one day find inner peace. Ha ha.


What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?



RS - 1. The pages have to turn. I want the writing to be tight and the plot to be exciting.

2. Each point-of-view character needs an agenda and growth arc. I write from multiple points of view, so it's important to make each story interesting in itself. 
3. Loose ends need to be tied. (Or a deliberately open-ended.)
4. A reader needs to see and feel the scene. This has been my weakness so I'm working on this the most with my current novel. I have to remind myself to slow down and see, smell, taste, touch, and hear what the character is experiencing. Only then will the reader suspend disbelief to dream the fictive dream. Which is the whole point of reading a novel.


badge buzzoole code