Sunday, August 31, 2014

Author Interview: Adriana Girolami: Revenge of the Knights Templar: From Rome to the US

She was born in Rome, Italy, and eventually immigrated to the US. She attended "The Art Students League" in N Y City and embarked on a career as a portrait artist and illustrator. She is an avid reader, and favors historical authors such as Sir Walter Scott, and her favorite, Alexander Dumas.

She studied archeology with an affinity toward Egyptology and attended many lectures at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. She loves to travel and discover exotic new places in the world. She enjoys physical activities, such as jogging and playing racquet ball. She is also a Martial Arts enthusiast and has a black belt in Kenpo karate.

She wrote her first novel, the historical romance Revenge of the Knights Templar, remembering all those wonderful and exciting books that stimulated her imagination as a child.

Welcome Adriana.

Your real name and pen name?

*I use my real name, Adriana Girolami

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

*Since my father died when I was a child there was great sadness during that time. However, my best memories where connected with playing and spending time with my best friend, Luigi. Finding joy in my private world of fantasy, and the wonderful imageries I created with my over active imagination.

About your education

*Attended "The Art Students League" of NYC specializing in fine art and oil portraiture.

What career did you plan during your education days

*To became a portrait artist.

What languages you can speak and write?

*I am bilingual, English and Italian

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life

*The wonderful art created throughout the centuries that filled the world with beauty. Since I was born in Rome Italy, I was surrounded by history and the splendor of the past.

What hurts you most in this world

*The violence and cruelty that is predominant in the news daily, and the ineptitude and corruption of the political leaders who create larger problems, instead of mitigating them.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

*There have been many challenges in my life; however the latest one was connected with the publishing of my debut novel, "Revenge of the Knights Templar". I lost my publisher to bankruptcy just before the book was to be published, January 15 2013. I was very distressed and I thought my budding career as an author was over. However, my agent was very helpful and encouraged me to publish the book on "CreateSpace Amazon on the due date. Soon after I had the wonderful news that my book would be published in Japan by Okla publishing; my book is now translated in Japanese and published since March 2014.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

*Since I can only choose one, it would be "Leonardo Da Vinci". I greatly admire his genius and endless thirst for knowledge. I would like to get into his mindset and see all the beauty he envisioned in the world through his eyes, and his amazing ability to see the future and technical advances that would become a reality centuries after his death.

What is your favorite genre and why?

*I favor historical novels that open doors to the past, since I love history. Through our imagination we can walk inside stately castes, live by a code of honor which has been eroded with the passing of time in many societies, and enjoy mystery and glamour which is missing today. Of course this is a reality created by an author's imagination through books and not a true depiction of life.

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

*My career as a portrait artist was successful but not completely satisfying, since I always craved the beauty of the written words. There are no boundaries to a storyline and can bring you into wonderful places that are as special and exciting as your imagination. My debut novel, "Revenge of the Knights Templar fulfilled my desire to enter the visually stunning world of the Middle Ages, with castles, Knights in shining armor, etc... And combined my love for history with mystery, since the story lines has many unexpected twists and a surprising end. Being an artist I also had the opportunity of painting the illustration for the cover of my book.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

*Since I am a new author, Revenge of the Knights is my only published novel, and as I mentioned before it is also published in Japanese. The following is a synopsis of the book.

*** This historical romance is set in Europe in the year 1480 at the conclusion of the Middle Ages, and features a beautiful heroine who triumphs over dark forces of violence and intrigue in the royal court. She arrives at the castle of the Duke of Nemours as the princess bride in an arranged marriage, only to learn her prospective husband has been killed in a coup d'état. She is immediately captured and held in isolation, commanded to consent to marriage to the new Duke, a cruel man who rules with a combination of force and fear. He is so beguiled by her extraordinary beauty that he fails to realize she has been trained in extensive combat skills by the general of her father’s army.

Instead of giving in to the demands made of her and the threats leveled at her and her less powerful family, she manages to hatch a plot of her own to organize the intimidated citizenry and create a popular uprising against the Duke. She must prevail against many obstacles and counter-plots, but in her difficult struggle she also discovers the true love of her life in the spirited young cavalier who repeatedly risks himself to aid her cause.*** 


What are your forthcoming writings?

*I am presently writing a sequel to "Revenge of the Knights Templar"; called "The Crimson Amulet" The novel follows the storyline of the first book. I also painted the cover for the new book.

What are your future plans?

*I plan to continue writing books, and also paint many more portraits!

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

*Every author has their own technique in writing. I favor a ready story line before starting to write, be dedicated, take notes and enjoy the process of writing your novel; otherwise no one will enjoy reading it!

How much real life goes into a fiction writing?

*I believe a small part of you always goes into your writing, the perception you have of the world and life in general will always be present.

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

I believe it's an essential factor in order to write something of quality!

Your dream destination on Earth?

*Any place on earth filled with lush greenery, pristine lakes and beautiful, majestic mountains.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

*I was born in Italy and traveled a great deal throughout Europe. France, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, etc... I also visited Egypt and Lebanon. I lived in New york City and visited most of the US, including Hawaii, Mexico and Canada.

I would also like to visit Japan, India, countries whose beauty and history has always fascinated me.
Your favorite time of the day?

*The morning, because it's the beginning of a new day

Your zodiac/ sunsign?

*Scorpio

Your favorite color and why?

*Blue, because it's soothing and calming, it is also the beautiful color of a clear sky and the majestic oceans.

Your favorite book and why?

*Love all the books of Alexander Dumas, because they are filled with excitement, amazing imagination, and great knowledge of French history

Your favorite movie and why?

Ben-Hur, a wonderful adaptation of the brilliant book by "Lew Wallace" Very interesting three dimentional character, exciting story and amazing action scenes.

Your favorite celebrity and why?

*Cary Grant, unique, amazingly talented, transcends generations!

Your favorite food?

 *Fruits in general... Love cherries!

Some quickies: Sun or Moon, Laughter or Smile, Morning or Evening, Coffee or Tea, Mountain or Sea, Long Drive or Short Drive, Silence or Conversation, Water or Fire, Air or Earth, Mars or Jupiter, Tulip or Rose, Red or Blue, Left or Right, Glance or Stare
*Sun, Laughter, Morning, Tea, Mountain, Long Drive, Conversation, Water, Earth, Jupiter, Rose, Blue, Right, Glance.

What three words come to your mind for each – Technology, Life, God, Humanity, Terrorism, Racism, Childhood Abuse, Love, Parenting, Old age

* "Technology" Future, progress, hope. 
"Life" Voyage, Unpredictable, Exciting. 
"God" Love, Eternal, Universal. 
"Humanity" Complex, Generous, Cruel. 
"Terrorism" Evil, Violent, Abomination. 
"Racism" Ignorance, hurtful, Vicious. 
"Childhood Abuse" Repugnance, Detestation, Abhorrence. 
"Love" Essential, Beautiful, unconditional. 
"Parenting" Challenging, Rewarding, Frustrating. 
"Old age" Privilege, wisdom, Difficult.

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote

*Quote from "Revenge of the Knights Templar" “The candle of his life burned out too soon, but it burned so brightly!”

The last line of your autobiography would be…

*Always perusing knowledge, new experiences and the joy of living!

 Links:


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code