Saturday, May 03, 2014

Author Interview: Reet Singh: Scorched by His Fire

Trained to be a doctor; however, she always found time to read fiction. She wanted to write, and she started with scientific articles, which involved the putting down in words, of cold, hard facts. Happily for her, the call of her creative muse got so loud, she couldn't ignore it anymore. Luckily, Harlequin® India gave her the first break, by virtue of their Passions contest. Winning it was a stroke of luck, allowing her a two book deal. The first of these, 'Scorched by His Fire', came into the Indian marketplace in February this year; the second is a work-in-progress, as yet unnamed.


Welcome onboard Reet! (Though this is not her real name!)

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

Reading, play acting and story-telling sessions with my sisters - most days of the year, but especially when we were vacationing in our maternal grandparents' home in a small village in Punjab. We ate maltas (citrus) off the trees, ate hot sugarcane jaggery off the cauldron, and drank milk straight off the buffalo's....no, everything except that.

About your education

We schooled all over the country and abroad, being army kids; but then, once I'd finished training to be a doctor, I shook the wheels off my feet, and elected to stay in one place for the most part.

What career did you plan on during your student days

Well, I would like to think that I always wanted to be a doctor, but my mother reminds me that I had dreams, at different times, of becoming a teacher, an air-hostess, and a blue-blooded princess!

What languages can you speak and write?

English, Hindi, and Punjabi.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

I am deeply inspired by my father, a retired colonel of the Indian army. He practices integrity, honesty, loyalty, and patriotism on a daily basis.

What hurts you most in this world?

Dishonesty and corruption...oh! And people with scant regard for the environment.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personalities, who would it be and why?

Tough choice; do I have to go with just one? Oh, alright! I would want to be Archimedes for a day. I would love to find that eureka moment that would transform the course of science.

What is your favorite genre and why?

Romance. No! Comedy. No! Romance. I'll compromise... its romantic comedy! Romance, because it makes me feel optimistic, and comedy, because laughter is the best medicine!

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

I wrote as a child – silly poems to amuse my younger sister; as a teenager - stuff for the college magazine. I write because I enjoy being creative. The only purpose is to plunge headlong into adventures with my protagonists. The bonus for me is when my readers enjoy the end result.

Which of your works has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

'Scorched by His fire' came out in February 2014. 

Here is a brief synopsis:
Convenient boyfriend, inconvenient attraction!
Mita Ramphul can’t face another family set-up with a ‘nice young man’. What she needs is to divert her family’s attention… so introducing the devastatingly handsome Tanay Devkumar as her new boyfriend is a stroke of brilliance! Until Tanay’s blazing hot kisses threaten to shatter her plans for the perfect pretend date…
He might drive her crazy, yet spending time with Tanay sparks a passion Mita never knew she had. It’s only meant to be temporary, but when Tanay looks at her with that smouldering fire in his ebony eyes, Mita can’t help but surrender to the temptation of her fake boyfriend…!

What are your forthcoming writings?

I am currently writing book two for Harlequin® India. The main characters are both doctors. I expect it to be available sometime around Diwali.

What are your future plans? 

I would love to write some more. Currently I am not thinking beyond romance; but later? Who knows?

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

Be respectful; be imaginative, yet realistic; research well; show, don't tell.

How much real life goes into fiction writing?

I suppose some real life influences do creep in, but for the most part, say about 80 percent, it is imagination.

Is it important for an author to have a high level of imagination?

In view of the previous question, yes! It is imperative to let your imagination take wing!

Your dream destination on Earth?

Hmm ... Home! I am a real home bird. I prefer to travel through the realm of books and television and social media!

Your favorite time of the day? 

Dawn, before the world rises and takes over!

Your zodiac/ sun sign? 

The fire sign - Sagittarius

Your favorite color and why? 

Orangy rust; so reminiscent of autumn and of cooler times to come!

The last line of your autobiography would be…

And I have loved every moment!

Twitter handle: @AuthorReet
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/reet.singh.5458
Goodreads author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7794919.Reet_Singh
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.in/Scorched-Fire-Mills-Indian-Author/dp/9351063747/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399051125&sr=1-1&keywords=reet+singh


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code