Sunday, January 26, 2014

Author Interview: Una Tiers: The Plight Of Animals In Shelters Also Hurts

We have a simple quiz at the end of this interview where the first 10 correct respondents will get her latest kindle book free from the author, Una Tiers.

Welcome Una!

Your real name and pen name?

My pen name is Una Tiers. It’s a play on words in French and Spanish that I will leave to you to guess about.


Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

One memory was owning a book of poetry. Another was walking with my Aunt to get the mail or to pick oranges.  A third was going to the downtown Chicago library to do research alone. 

About your education

I have a bachelors, masters and juris doctorate degrees.


What career did you plan during your education days

Initially I wanted to teach speech and communications (argumentation, persuasion, etc.) but did not find it to be a challenge.  After a few years working, I decided on law school.

What hurts you most in this world

When I see news stories about a child murdered, or a young adult who dies in a something like a car accident, it breaks my heart. The plight of animals in shelters also hurts.  

What is your favorite genre and why? 

Cozies are a way to get away from the troubles of the day.  Cookbooks are a way to see how foods fit together. 

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing? 

I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t writing. In college I dedicated time to journaling and continue to this day.  This is a great way to sort my thoughts.  Writing mysteries is a way for me to address stress and teach about the law.

Which of your work is published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

To date, I have one mystery published and one short story. Several others are in the works. Each mystery teaches a little bit about the law, perhaps surreptitiously. This sounds sneaky, doesn’t it?

I also have four non-fiction books. The collection makes me very proud.


What are your forthcoming writings?  

The next book is another mystery staring Fiona Gavelle, my protagonist.  There is enough humor to mask the stereotype of lawyers and while you are laughing, you will learn a little about the law.  This week I started a short story about what is to me an unimaginable way to live.


What are your future plans?

It would be nice to travel. I will continue to write. 


What four things are important when writing a book? 

The first is to get the draft done before you start editing. You can always make improvements.  Second, check your plot for consistency.  On what was the last edit of Judge vs Nuts, I found a wee error. Read a lot of books to see what works and what you love.  The fourth is to believe in your writing.    


Your dream destination on Earth? 

Maybe some handsome, clever man will sweep me off my feet and we’ll fly to Paris or London.  Maybe we will simply take a walk over to Lake Michigan with a cup of coffee in the early morning.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. 

I was born in Chicago, Illinois, USA and continue to live here.  We travelled over the U.S., Canada and Mexico when I was a child.  I made it as far as Ireland for a marathon in 2000.  The best part of Dublin was the Four Courts, or the court building.  It was so large and so magnificent I think of it often.

Your favorite time of the day?

In the summer, I like very early morning, maybe 5AM.  In the winter, I would rather sleep late and seem to perk up around 3 PM. 

 Your favorite book and why?

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne inspires me and makes me see the possibilities in each day. 

Your favorite celebrity and why?


Can I have two?  Paul McCartney, because of his enthusiasm, focus and dignity. He was here in Chicago and the concert ROCKED! Elvis because of his courage to be different. 


Your favorite food?   

Stuffed peppers with garam masala. 


State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote 

The idea settled over me like toxic waste.  (From Judge vs Nuts).

Thank you Jaideep for this incredible opportunity.  Without the internet, we might not have crossed paths. 

Una Tiers

Sample Not Safe for the Bank(er) http://dragonmyfeet.wordpress.com/?s=una+tiers


Here is the quiz: You just need to leave a comment below about “what a cozy must have”.  If your answer is correct, you will get a copy of “Not Safe For the Bank(er)” on kindle eBook.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code