Saturday, August 10, 2013

Author Interview: Pamela Sinha Mathur: Of Love & Lovers



A software engineer while writing complex codes to build stable business applications could not hold to listen to her heart when her heart started narrating poetry and short stories to her. When the mind was all engaged in finding logics and building codes, heart on the other side never stopped living in the just opposite world. Her debutant novel took birth last year and can be glanced through on Amazon and Goodreads, her blog or on her facebook page.


She is Pamela Sinha Mathur with whom we are going to interact today.

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

The joy of looking forward to the summer vacations when we could watch the programs and movies broadcasted specially for children on the television. While it is only right that the world should progress over the years, these simple joys of childhood have gotten lost in the maze of cartoons and video games available to kids today simply at the touch of  button.

About your education

I did my schooling primarily from my native city Kolkata and the final two years from my adopted city Mumbai. I then did my B.E. in Information Technology from Mumbai University.

What career did you plan during your education days

Like most kids my career plans would change at the drop of a hat. After I started giving it some serious thought, for a while I had toyed with the idea of becoming a doctor but ultimately decided to enter the field of IT. I had been writing since a young age but never had I anticipated I would be an author one day.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life

The belief my parents and my husband have in me and their wholehearted support for whatever I undertake in life. They are my very own cheerleaders.

What hurts you most in this world

People who have closed their minds to the world around them and see nothing wrong in doing so. At atime when the world is literally at our fingertips thanks to a burgeoning IT revolution, many are still content to persist in remaining bound within the walls of their cloistered existence and not explore and celebrate their own individuality.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? Were you able to overcome it? How?

The biggest challenge in anybody’s life, not only mine, is to have the courage to pursue your passion, irrespective of the pitfalls in the way. Most of us end up waiting for that one day when we would get to live life on our terms but that opportunity will never be gifted to us; it has to be seized. I have taken baby steps towards overcoming this challenge and hope to continue pursuing my passion for writing for the rest of my life.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

I really cannot imagine being anyone else other than me. However, I would like to have something like a Pensieve from the Harry Potter series that would allow me to peek into important milestones in history and observe firsthand the actions of the great men and women whose actions influenced the course of history.

What is your favorite genre and why?

I do not have a particular favorite - I usually read anything and everything I can lay my hands on. That said, I must admit well-written detective thrillers and historical fiction usually figure at the top of my list. I think that is because these books can capture a reader's interest and not be overly complicated or ridiculously obvious.

What is the purpose of your writing?

I believe a writer has the power to influence the thought processes of his readers enormously. So while I write to entertain my readers, I also try to speak out against the ills plaguing our society, for example gender discrimination and the like.

Which of your work published so far?

Apart from my first novel, Of Love & Lovers, I have had articles published on rediff.com and other websites.

What are your forthcoming writings?

I am working on my second novel, a coming of age story centered around a group of young college graduates entering the corporate world.

What are your future plans?

I believe in living each day as it comes. All I know is that I will keep writing and see where that takes me.

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

Creating characters a reader can identify with, not leaving any loose ends in the plot, giving a different perspective to everyday things and keeping the language engaging but not unnecessarily flowery.

Your dream destination on Earth?

Ladakh - in my mind nothing can compare to the rugged beauty of a mighty mountainous landscape.

15. Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

I was born in Kolkata, India and I have travelled extensively across my homeland. My family has a love for traveling to new places and it has rubbed off on me. I have visited USA, Canada, parts of Europe as well as Asia. I love exploring new places and experimenting with the local cuisines. I also find learning about the history of a place and getting a feel of its culture and traditions simply fascinating.


badge buzzoole code