Tuesday, October 05, 2021

Reading Challenge vs Reading Goals #MyFriendAlexa #pebbleinwaterswrites #tbrchallenge

We all know about this never ending bonding between any challenge and any goals associated with that challenge. If we look in a context which came first, hen or egg, then, probably this combination also is as confusing as that hen and egg one. Do we set our goals first in life and then look for / create challenges for ourselves to achieve our goals? Our it's vice versa? That we accept a challenge and accordingly set out our goals? Well, as far as my opinion goes, it's the former that looks more valid to me, at least, in my case. Wait. I am getting a little confused. I am thinking, what happened in case of blogchatter reading challenge. In that case, I think, I first accepted the challenge and then set my goal to 100 books to finish in the year 2021. It was the challenge that kept me on my toes to read as many books as possible.


Reading Challenge vs Reading Goals #MyFriendAlexa #pebbleinwaterswrites #tbrchallenge

Photo credit: kevin dooley on VisualHunt

It was something like day wise, week wise, month wise targets that became sub components of my main goal of 100. For first 6-7 months, I was ranked first in the table on blogchatter. What I feel is there is a third dimension to be added in a two dimensional challenge versus goals relationship. That third dimension is community. What it means its that if I have taken a challenge in open, among a number of people who are also participating in that challenge, then I am prone to double up my speed, stay more aggressive, and keep that fire in the belly intact, all the time, to stay ahead. I had that zeal for almost 8 months during which I was the fastest and thus nearest to my goal. But then what happened? I was dropped to the third place, where I am still, in the 10th month, and am not sure if I will be jumping back to number one position or not.

What made me get dropped to number three position. It's it the pace of reading that is lost? Is it that long streak of staying at number one position for around 75% of the period of that challenge that have me a hangover and I lost my track? Did I become overconfident? Or, have I lost interest in it? So, what I think, there has to be a fourth dimension to it. We have challenge, goals, community /participants, as three dimensions. It's the push /fire /zeal /urge that I would like to add as fourth dimension to it. That means, if I accept a challenge, associate goals to it, become a part of a community where equally strong contenders are there to bypass my first position any moment of time, then that extra push that stays on top of my head all the time till I achieve my goals, until the challenge is over, till I am declared as the ultimate winner. 

How does that happen? It's simple but not that simple. Do I need to live in fear - what if I lose my number one position? Or do I keep myself so strong and confident to ensure I stay in the track throughout and keep my pace intact without losing my peace of mind, and that top place on the table? Is staying on number one position so important. If it's crucial for me, then what about 132 other contenders? Obviously, every participant can't stay on top of the table. It's, kind of, survival of the fittest. Err, survival of the fastest. Or survival of the strongest? What if I don't stay on number one position but still am able to achieve my goals and win the competition? May be, all competitions do not demand you to be at number one position to declare you as winner. It's like, all those who participated in the competion, set their own goals and achieved those goals are winners.

In those cases, probably, the biggest goals will be set as a benchmark for every other participant. 

I'm participating in Blogchatter's #TBRChallenge 

I am taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter’s My Friend Alexa

 

26 comments :

  1. I think consistency plays a important role in challenges, to keep you going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. That means there has to be something that keeps that consistency intact, throughout.

      Delete
  2. the race to be on the top can be thrilling. I am at #25th positing for a long time now and need to pick up speed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made my goal the challenge and fared quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting perspective! I loved reading it. Honestly, ranking doesn’t matter as long as you do it on time, at least for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this. While I do like to participate in challenges, sometimes the leaderboard starts giving me jitters and then my mental health goes for a toss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, that means any challenge that produces disturbing leaderboard which in turn give jitters is not good at all.

      Delete
  6. Wow seems you are acing the challenge. I am sure you will get back the previous position soon. It's about the consistency and the determination towards the goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sure. But currently missing the drive. Let's see. There is 3/4th of a quarter left.

      Delete
  7. Sir, you are always on the top of every challenge. I am sure you swill get abck to your winning streak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you will complete it soon. My reading speed this year is also not same because of my health issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. I wish you the regain best of your health as the earliest.

      Delete
  9. We take the challenge to better ourselves, our own skills and not to conpete with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's super gyan. Logically, then why there's table with rankings? 😄

      Delete
  10. Wow...you were at number one spot on the reading challenge list. My best wishes that you regain the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. This was a fun read. You seem to be totally invested in the challenge. It had been a while since I even updated the reads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My reading is zero. I need to start all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is staying on number one position so important?
    Surely not if it takes away the joy of reading, or anything else that brings you happiness

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely posts. As I am back to reading after kids and i have set a goal for myself to read atleast 5 books n the remining 3 months

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code