Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Author Interview: Eve Gaal: Loser’s Ledge: Fiction Noir-Thirteen Stories Published by Hen House Publishing

It all began with a toy typewriter Eve received at age four. Her college internship involved writing for the employee newsletter at an amusement park which inspired her to apply at a local newspaper. After a long, varied career in the newspaper business, she published her first novel, Penniless Hearts which is part adventure, part humorous romance and all about communication. When not writing stories or poems, Eve is chasing two rescued Chihuahuas around her backyard. Read more about Eve at evegaal.com


Your real name and pen name?

Eve Gaal

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

Picnics with my parents-
Opening presents every Christmas Eve-
Cross-country skiing with my brother and sister-
Traveling on a luxury ocean-liner to Europe-

About your education

English Literature at the local university
Master of Arts Degree in Human Behavior


What career did you plan during your education days?

Writer/Author

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

God. He wants me to use my talent to help people find happiness.

My biggest goal is making people smile. If they laugh, then I’ve exceeded my goals. The trick is to add more and more people to my sphere of influence. I don’t clown around but usually point out that truth is funnier than fiction.

What hurts you most in this world?

People who hurt others intentionally.

What is your favorite genre and why?

I like funny mysteries.


When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

I wasn’t very good at drawing or coloring within the lines but when I wrote a poem, it seemed to speak to my family. They were supportive of my early writing career.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

My piece “Loser’s Ledge” is a story in Fiction Noir-Thirteen Stories published by Hen House Publishing in New York. I have written restaurant columns and many other stories throughout my life. Recently a group called PnP Authors put out an anthology and published three of my poems and one of my stories. I also write about one of my dogs in Not Your Mother’s Book on Dogs and about a trip to France in Not Your Mother’s Book on Travel. My novel is called Penniless Hearts. It’s a modern Cinderella story taking place the week before Christmas.


What genres you write in and why?

I like writing Cinderella stories, Christmas stories, inspirational stories and poems.

What are your future plans?

I plan on writing a sequel to Penniless Hearts called Penniless Souls. I also want to publish some children’s stories.

What is generally your preference in reading – a paper book or ebook? And why?

 I read ebooks on my Kindle and paperbacks too. I guess I prefer the paperbacks because of the way I like to read on my side and I can’t seem to do that with my Kindle.


How much real life goes into a fiction writing?

The way I see it, everything is fiction. Unless a writer has taped the conversation and filmed the event to prove it really happened in a certain chronological order with witnesses, surroundings and environmental factors, it can be interpreted, slanted and presented with the writer’s personal agenda. Every writer has the power to alter history, amend the truth and thus change reality. Non-fiction has more fact than fiction but it’s still the author’s perspective. That’s one of the reasons why every front-page story in the Los Angeles Times or The New York Times has more than one byline.

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

Yes, for fiction. Non-fiction authors need a photographic memory rather than a good imagination.

Your dream destination on Earth?

My bed

What other countries have you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

      My mother loved travel and instilled in me a love of discovery. I’ve had the good fortune of seeing many wonderful countries but still like being home the best. At home you can pick up a good book and travel thousands of miles in seconds!

Your favorite time of the day?

Sunset


Your zodiac/ sunsign?
Capricorn

Your favorite color and why?

I love green. Every shade of green and the more shades blended together or near each other the better. When I think of green, I think of nature, grass and leaves. I think of the mountains I used to hike, I think of glittering green scales on a fish, shimmering green on a hummingbird, emerald green golf courses and the spring green stalks on daffodils and tulips.

What is the last book you finished reading? What is the current book you are reading?

I just finished the Bellefleurs by Joyce Carol Oates and I’m reading Chaysing Dreams by Jalpa Williby

Your favorite book and why?

The Little Prince--because the fox gets tamed and the rose needs protection—because it is only with the heart that one can see clearly and because there are those of us who do need our own planet.


Your favorite movie and why?

The Wizard of Oz. I enjoyed reading all the Frank Baum books as a young girl with a library card.

Your favorite celebrity and why?

Steve Martin
Because he’s funny and talented.

Your favorite food?

Gnocchi con Pesto

Your favorite sports?

Swimming and cycling

What is the force that drives you?

Creativity and love

What comes to your mind when you think of India?

Amazing beauty, style, embroidery, oceans and nice people

Some quickies: Sun or Moon(sun), Laughter or Smile(laughter is important), Coffee(coffee) or Tea, Mountain (Mountain) or Sea, Water(water) (tulip) or Rose, Left or Right(right), Day(day) or Night, Tree(tree) or Plant, Love(Love) or Passion

What three words come to your mind for each – (Technology-computers, mom, dad), Life-gift, grateful, short), (God- Father, Son & Holy Spirit), Humanity-, Terrorism, Racism, Childhood Abuse, Love, Parenting, (Old age-not for wimps).

Last thing to do before sleep?

Pray

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote-

Follow your heart.

Links & other relevant details:
ASIN:B00BD7X2FE
Publisher: Desert Rocks Creative
Twitter handle: @EveGaal
Facebook page:
Goodreads author page: EveGaal
Any other links:www.evegaal.com


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code