Friday, November 14, 2014

Author Interview: Beverly S Harless: One Night of Regrets: A Story of Restoration and Grace: Faith Feelings

She is author of One Night of Regrets: A Story of Restoration and Grace, Faith Feelings and Poetry and co-author of Inspirational Poetry by Southern Chicks. She lives in Nashville, NC with her husband, Jeffrey, and daughter, Alison. She works in the home health field as a CNA. Last year she completed her studies in Extended Education of Biblical Counseling through Bob Jones University.

 Welcome Beverly S. Harless!

Your real name and pen name?

I write under my own name, Beverly S. Harless

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

Some of my best memories were spending weekends with my grandmother. We’d go shopping, stop for a hot dog and fries at the local dime store and catch a matinee at the local theater. My Dad worked three jobs and I didn’t get to spend a lot of time with him. So, I really enjoyed the time he was able to spend with me playing catch in our back yard.

About your education

Well, I studied Business Computer Programming at the Community College where I lived. But, it wasn’t until I studied Biblical Counseling that I found my passion.

What languages you can speak and write?

I only speak and write English.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life

God.

What hurts you most in this world

There are so many things that bring hurt in this world. If I listed them all, the list would be endless. It is easier to say what burdens my heart the most in this world. That would be trying to reach others for Christ, telling how Christ died for our sins, and that all one has to do is; admit he/she is a sinner and that there is a penalty for sin, know that Christ died to pay for our sins, recognize that He desires for us to accept Him, and with a pure heart accept His free gift of salvation.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

I have faced many difficult challenges. I face them on a daily basis. I think when we go through a challenge it is hard to distinguish the level of difficulty between various challenges. At the moment they are happening, they all seem too enormous to handle. I overcome my challenges by relying on God and His promises that He is faithful and will protect and provide.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

This one is easy. There aren’t any. I am just me – a regular person with a regular life. That’s always been enough.

What is your favorite genre and why?

My favorite genre is Christian because of the message of hope.

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

I played around with writing when I was a teenager. But, I didn’t get serious about it until 2010 when I started writing my first book, One Night of Regrets: A Story of Restoration and Grace.

The purpose behind this book stemmed from having heard someone say that they were afraid of the mistakes they would make if they stepped out of their comfort zone in order to do what God has called them to do. So, not really knowing anything about the publishing process, I wrote this book (knowing I would make mistakes).

I believe that God knows we will make mistakes. But, God’s Will can and will be accomplished in spite of our mistakes. I also believe that it is not those mistakes, when stepping out for Him that He looks at – it is our willingness and desire and our heart that pleases Him.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

One Night of Regrets: A Story of Restoration and Grace is about a lady who has always been self-centered and focused on material possessions. She knows she is not worthy to have anyone love her. She always finds something to push others away – or she runs away herself. She has made many mistakes that she deems unforgivable and spends her time trying to hide those mistakes. In the end, she realizes that even when she couldn’t see God working, He was working the most. She finds restoration and grace that she never dreamed possible.

Faith, Feelings and Poetry is a collection of inspirational poetry I have written during difficult times and circumstances. I pray it leads others to examine their own faith during difficult times.

Inspirational Poetry by Southern Chicks is a collection of poetry written by myself and Carol J. Hagan. Each selection was inspired by our life events and struggles. We both pray that others find hope and encouragement through this collection.

What are your forthcoming writings?

I am working on, Thoughts of Faith: The Journey Home (sequel to One Night of Regrets), A Poetic Journey, and At Least A Flicker (my first non-fiction).

What keeps you motivating towards writing?

My desire to reaching others for Christ keeps me motivated to write.

What are your future plans

Future plans are just to keep writing.

What is generally your preference in reading – a paper book or ebook? And why?

I still love a physical book because I can mark the sections and make notes. I don’t have to worry about a device messing up and not being able to get to what I want.

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

I gear toward trying to write about something that can relate to the reader’s own life, a clear message of hope, something that gives the reader the reader to search their own faith and points toward Christ.

How much real life goes into a fiction writing?

That’s hard to answer. We all face different situations. It is the reader that I want to answer how much of their life is found in my writing. Writing is not about my life, it is about what part the reader can relate to in my writing. That’s what writing is about for me.

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

In what I write about, you don’t have to look far for truth in my fiction. Struggles, temptations, family situations, relationships, etc. – none are exempt.  It’s all real life even though the stories that put all these things that are common to all together are fiction. There is a certain level of imagination is there – I just don’t know if I would say it is a high level.

Your dream destination on Earth?

To reach as many as I can who are lost – for Christ.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

I was born in the United States. I have visited Mexico and Jamaica. I loved the scenery and openness of the people.

Your favorite book and why?

Grandfather and I was my favorite book. It was the first book I remember relating to.

Your favorite food?

My favorite food is “hot dogs”.

What is the force that drives you?

Sharing my faith is what drives me.

What comes to your mind when you think of India?

A beautiful land.

What three words come to your mind for each – Technology, Life, God, Humanity, Terrorism, Racism, Childhood Abuse, Love, Parenting, Old age

For all of the above: Desire, longing, and a realization from all these things, that this world does not quench our thirst in what we desire.

First thing you do in the morning after waking up?
Thank God for another day to reach others.

Last thing to do before sleep?

Pray

If one fine morning you wake up and find your sex changed to opposite, what will be your first reaction?

Now who’s writing fiction???

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote

Tagline – “One choice changes everything. The right choice changes your world.”

Best quote - “Every life is a story. Every story has mistakes. If not for the mistakes, the story holds much less meaning.”  

Links & other relevant details: website: beverlysharless.weebly.com

Publisher: AuthorHouse and Createspace

Twitter handle: jbaharless@twitter.com




No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code