Saturday, October 18, 2014

Author Interview: Shynu Koshy: Bye Bye Burden: My First Children’s eBook Published By Partridge India

The Author, Shynu Koshy currently lives in Mumbai, India. She teams up with her husband to run a data archiving firm. She is also the mother of three delightful little girls. Her experience in creating cartoons for newspapers and her background in multimedia has led her passion for art find novel expression. And now she has used her talent to keep her young readers interested in a story that slowly unfolds with a message they would like to hold fast in their memories.

She also shares her passion for art with little children.
From the time she remembers, her interest has always revolved around unusual stories.
The sheer magic that evolves when pencil touches paper enthralls her.

Your real name and pen name?
Both – Shynu Koshy

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood
My best memories as a child was sitting under trees, watching squirrels and imaging that those squirrels had their homes in those trees. I was quite sure their homes were well furnished and even had white curtains made of sheer fabric with little red flowers on them that blew in the wind.
I followed my father around everywhere. I still cherish the stories that he told me almost every day. There were two in particular that were very unusual. There was a story about the red cow and the ‘kai illate ammachi’ (in Malayalam this means – The grandmother who had no hands). These stories he wove around the brown cow and a bust of a historical figure that we saw on our way to the market. The attire of this historical figure was similar to the chatta(half sleeved white blouse that reaches the waist and worn with a rectangular piece of unstitched cloth, wrapped around the waist and the legs resembling a long skirt). My father sowed the seed of storytelling in me.
…with my father

About your education
I did my Masters in Commerce (M.Com).  I also did my Graduation from National Institute of Information Technology. And then did a diploma in multimedia.

What career did you plan during your education days
I had no plans for my career. I just wanted to make my parents very proud of me…but I had no clue, what I wanted to do in life. I loved to draw.
Blog of illustrations and paintings:  http://shynukoshy.blogspot.in

What languages you can speak and write?
English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life
My Grandparents, Mom, Dad and my Mom and Dad-in-law and my sister, are my biggest source of inspiration. My husband and daughters inspire me a lot too. They have a great sense of humor and some seriously crazy ideas.
There are so many other very important people I’d like to name…but the list is long.
 
my Grandfather-my inspiration: Rev. Fr. P.A. Abraham
What hurts you most in this world
Nobody is perfect in this world. Trying to achieve some amount of perfection in our own lives and simultaneously spreading the goodness around will take us an entire lifetime. We would be so busy; we would have no time to pick on others in even the smallest of ways. Peace would prevail in our lives and around.
There would be no conflicts no wars if peace got all the chance.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?
School. I have no clue how I passed school. I was a hopeless student. After I passed out of school, I tore my report card into tiny bits so that no one would ever be able to put it together ever again. Fortunately or unfortunately my children are good students much appreciated by their teachers.

All of us face challenges everyday in all walks of life. When there is one problem God gives us ten solutions. All we have to do is hang on, find the door and move on.

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?
I have three daughters. The younger ones are twins.
When they were very small, I used to read out stories to them which they enjoyed.
They even liked the stories I cooked up.  
I realized that writing stories and illustrating them was what I enjoyed most.
I create children’s books as it makes me very happy. I have hundreds of stories in my head that I’d love to share.
the three Angels

What genres you write in and why?
Children’s books. I love to illustrate and tell my stories through pictures.


Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?
‘Bye Bye Burden’ is my first children’s eBook published by Partridge India a Penguin company.
The book is about a little Birdie who learns some of the most important lessons of life.
Here is the synopsis:-

Birdie loves to play
But his friends are at bay
Will Birdie find his way?
Read this interesting and colorful story to find out.
…Book Review 

What are your forthcoming writings?
I am currently working on another story with the little birdie as the protagonist. This time around, my experience with the first book is helping me big deal. My little angels have given me some super fun ideas. I am enjoying every moment of it.

What keeps you motivating towards writing?
The joy it brings and the push from some fantastic people.

How do you plan, schedule and monitor your writing commitments?
I am not a full time author. The pockets of time I get in-between my responsibility towards our company ‘CHAX Creations’, and other commitments I use for writing and illustration. The story I work on is with me in my head so in a sense I’m always working on it.

What are your future plans?
To further write and illustrate for little children – God willing!
 
Page 1 from the book ‘Bye Bye Burden’
What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?
Appeal, captivate, motivate, inspire 

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author?
Yes. I can speak for myself here.
From the seed of my imagination grows my story, rooted in the soil of positivity, nurtured with my love for art and bearing the fruits that I’d like to share with little children everywhere.
                                           
Your dream destination on Earth?
Any place on earth where I could be with my mother at least for a short while (my mother passed away three years ago). Can I also mention Bulbulestan? It is the place where the characters in my book live.

Your favorite time of the day
Afternoon, when I take a break

Your zodiac/ sunsign?
Aries

Your favorite color and why?
I love all colors as colors make the world more beautiful.

Your favorite book and why?
The Alchemist for the wonderful line “And, when you want something, the entire universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” 
 
Paulo Coelho, the Alchemist
I love reading children’s books! (Tintin, Asterix, Chota Bheem… all included). There are so many extraordinary books out there, that it’s impossible to pick any one as my favorite.

Your favorite movie and why?
I enjoy animated children’s movies because it’s just so much fun.  I love Malayalam movies.

Your favorite food?
‘Biryani’ an Indian dish made with rice flavored with spices and layered with either meat, fish or vegetables. The aroma of Biryani brings back fond memories of my childhood and my mother.

Your favorite sports?
I’m not a sports person though my husband is a national level tennis player and coach.

What is the force that drives you?
Positivity

What comes to your mind when you think of India?
Color

What three words come to your mind for each – Technology, Life, God,
Convenience, Good, Everything

Humanity, Terrorism, Racism, Childhood Abuse, Love, Parenting, Old age
Being human, Evil, Bad, Wrong, Life, Maturity, Wisdom

First thing you do in the morning after waking up?
Thank God that I’m alive and well

Last thing to do before sleep?
Thank God for everything

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote
Life’s good


Links & other relevant details:

ISBN-13 9781482812732
Publisher: Partridge Publishing India
Barnes & Noble
FLIPKART

Blog of illustrations and paintings:  http://shynukoshy.blogspot.in
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/shynukoshy.childrens.books
Google+:
 https://plus.google.com/u/0/+shynukoshy/posts
Twitter handle:
@shynukoshy


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code