Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Author Interview: Katrina Cope: The Sanctum Series: Jayden and the Mysterious Mountain

She grew up in a small country town with plenty of time to let her creativity run wild. This was fueled with a large amount of time spent traveling to different areas of the world, coming in contact with many different personalities and cultures.

The last eight years has been spent running a small business with her husband and raising three young boys and writing in any spare time.

After finishing her first book, it came to light just how much she loves writing and she now writes a great deal more. Her boys are growing up, approaching the teenage years quickly, allowing her more time to write and asking for the next book.

A very warm welcome to Katrina Cope

Your real name and pen name?

I have published in my real married name.    

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

I grew up on acreage with a hobby farm and enjoyed the space and animals immensely. I also had the privilege of travelling extensively to several different countries from a very young age. This was a very pleasurable experience.

What career did you plan during your education days?

I have always wanted to do something involving the arts.  I didn’t know for sure it would be writing, even though I enjoyed writing, but I have always been artistic.

What hurts you most in this world?

Seeing so many negative and critical people who love to bring people down. There really should be more caring and sharing going around, more consideration of others.

What is your favorite genre and why?

I really enjoy Young Adult and Late Middle grade. I also enjoy adult thrillers/mysteries or feel good books. 

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

I started writing books about seven years ago. I had this story in my head and really wanted to write it and hopefully my children would like it, which they really do and they devour the books of The Sanctum Series. They have had the privilege of reading the next book in the series and love it even in its rough stages.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

Book 1 of The Sanctum Series, Jayden & the Mysterious Mountain has been publish. It is a late middle grade series. It has recently received a 5 star rating by ‘Readers’ Favorite’ review and award site.

A brief synopsis is:
The story starts where Jayden is rescued off the street by a wealthy grandfather figure and taken to his school, similar to a boarding school. It is not an ordinary school, it is very luxurious and hiding in a mountain. It is called The Sanctum and it is run by an artificial intelligence called Scarlet, which is a very cheeky AI who has a nasty bite if you cross her. Some of their lessons are teaching them how to become spies, and the children get to operate really cool equipment, including surrogates, all to fight terrorism. They are not so sure that this is what they are doing by the end of the book.

What are your forthcoming writings?

Book 2 of The Sanctum Series, called ‘Scarlet’s Escape’ is in the final stages. I am hoping it will be released by July 2014.  

What are your future plans?

Besides continuing on with this series, I have an adult thriller in planning with a kick butt female heroine. I also have a Young Adult trilogy in mind as well as another middle grade adventure. To get to the point I have a fair bit of writing planned in different genres.  

Katrina & Dusk

How much real life goes into a fiction writing?

Sometimes I don’t add anything from my real life although other times I will throw in a bit if I think it will flow with the book and make it more interesting.

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

I think for an author you really need a high level of imagination along with life experiences.  A combination of the two plus the ability to write is really important.

Your dream destination on Earth?

To be honest, I don’t really have a dream destination. I love Australia however, in saying that I still want to travel. I would love to take our children to Harry Potter world and Disneyland before they get two much older.  

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

I am born and raised in Australia, however I have travelled a lot as a child, during my teenage years and early twenties backpacking. I have visited many countries. From the Middle East, Europe and Africa. My favourite travelling time was when I stayed & lived with the locals of certain countries and learnt & experience first hand their way of living.

Your favorite time of the day?

My favourite time of day would be writing time or quite time. Life with three boys is noise and hectic. I also enjoy the mornings and the early morning walks with my new puppy.

Your zodiac/ sunsign?

I am a Gemini, the twins are always fun and keep life interesting. 

Your favorite color and why?

I guess I lean more towards blue. It relaxes me.


Links: 
Twitter: 
Facebook:
Goodreads:
Amazon:


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code