Saturday, April 26, 2014

Author Interview: T L Coutler: The Key: A Brand-new YA Trilogy

T.L. Coulter lives in a small mountain town in Northern Utah with her husband, son and two spoiled cats. She loves writing, reading, snowboarding, snowshoeing, and recently running. After eight years in the Air Force, she hung up her uniform and moved overseas to work for the Army, then the Army Corps of Engineers. After six years between living in Belgium and Germany and lots of traveling in between, T.L. and her family decided to settle return to the United States. 

Hello Tawnya and welcome onboard!

Your real name and pen name?

My real name is Tawnya. My pen name is T.L. Coulter. I went with T.L. because my name is mispronounced a lot. The w throws people off, and my name comes out sounding like ta-wan-ya.

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood:

Some of my best childhood memories were spending the summer with my best friend. We lived in the country, so we would walk into town, and get a Dr. Pepper, pizza pocket and a caramello candy bar. 

About your education: 

I have a Bachelor’s of Science in 
Criminal Justice. I am four classes away from receiving a Masters in Human Services.

What career did you plan during your education days:

When I was younger, I wanted to write or become an editor. After eight years in the Air Force, I decided I wanted to work with children and teens who needed assistance and mentorship. 

What languages you can speak and write?

I can understand a small amount of German, but not much.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life:

My family and friends are my biggest inspiration. They are always doing things that surprise and motivate me to pursue my dreams.

What hurts you most in this world:

The way we treat one another today. It just feels like there is so much hate and fear in the world.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

My biggest challenge was when I decided to separate from the Air Force. It was the fear of the unknown that got to me. I pushed forward, and told myself that I can make it in the civilian world, and I have.

What is your favorite genre and why?

I love YA books. Growing up I read nothing but romance novels. It was the Twilight series that turned me on to YA books. I haven’t looked back. 

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

I stared writing when I was a child. I was afraid others would think my work was bad, so I would throw it away. The purpose of my writing is to not only tell a story, but to tell it in a way that the readers feel what the characters are feeling. I want readers to be drawn into the story.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

I have published The Key.

The Key is the first book in a brand-new YA trilogy. When the new King of Arcadia, Audric Sjöberg is forced into hiding, his younger brother Rek, is sent to the mortal realm to find “the key”. “The Key” is the one person that can help Audric take back his kingdom, and restore peace within the wizard realm.
Kailee Reece is a normal teenager, or so she believes. When Kailee’s wishes turn into reality, she becomes the target of unwanted attention. Rek’s search sends him to Astoria Oregon, where he meets Kailee, and they are drawn to one another. Kailee and Rek attempt to fight their feelings, but the temptation is too great.
Kailee and Rek’s happiness is threatened by an ancient prophecy that could tear them apart. Rek must convince Kailee to return to Arcadia in order to save Audric and his kingdom. Once the kingdom is safe, Rek may be forced to say goodbye to Kailee forever.

What are your forthcoming writings?

I am currently working on the second novel in The Arcadian Series. The title will be released soon.

What are your future plans?

After finishing this series, I plan on finishing a novel for a little bit younger crowd. I have been working on it with my son, and he is anxious for it to be done.

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

Suspense, Romance, Character building, and keeping the readers engaged.

How much real life goes into a fiction writing?

I used a lot of real life experiences in my book. One example is that my husband and I could only have one child. Therefore I am overprotective. I put that in the story. All of my traveling, also helped to set the scene for Arcadia. Arcadia is a cross between Ireland and Norway.

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

If you’re writing fiction, I think it is very important. To be able to dream up other worlds, and to put yourself in the characters shoes helps to really bring the characters and scenes to life.

Your dream destination on Earth?

That is a tough decision. I am in love with Ireland and Norway. Perhaps if I could have a house in both places.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

I was born in Texas, but grew up in Oklahoma. I lived in Belgium for a year, and Germany for five years. I have traveled to Italy, Spain, Norway, Russia, Estonia, Sweden, Finland, United Kingdom, France, Austria and Poland. I loved learning about the different cultures. I love how they make time for family in Europe. On Sunday everything shuts down in order for you to spend time as a family. They really know how to relax.

Your favorite time of the day?

I love it when my son is in bed, and I have quiet time to read or write.

Your zodiac?

Taurus

Your favorite color and why?

Green. I guess my love for Ireland explains this. There is just something about the color green.

Your favorite book and why?

Pride and Prejudice. I mean who doesn’t love Mr. Darcy, he was the original “bad boy” we all fell in love with.

Your favorite celebrity and why?

Johnny Depp. I love that he chooses different characters. No matter what character he plays, he really puts himself into that role. To me that is dedication.

Your favorite food?

Don’t laugh, but it’s a toss between meatball subs and Frito chili pie.

Some quickies:

Sun or Moon? Moon
Laughter or Smile? Laughter
Morning or Evening? Evening
Coffee or Tea? Coffee
Mountain or Sea? Sea
Long Drive or Short Drive? Long Drive
Silence or Conversation? Silence
Water or Fire? Water
Air or Earth? Air
Mars or Jupiter? Jupiter
Tulip or Rose? Rose
Red or Blue? Blue
Left or Right? Right
Glance or Stare? Glance

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote:

Never give up on your dream!

The last line of your autobiography would be…

In the end, she overcame and conquered.

Links:

Twitter handle: tlc2255






No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code