Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Author Interview: Eliabeth Hawthorne: Blind Sight Urban Fantasy Series

She wrote her first series in second grade when her teacher told her she was not allowed to write chapter books. She's been a rebel ever since. Now, with coauthor Ermisenda Alvarez, she is challenging the accepted practices of the literary world. She has written Aniela's perspective of Blind Sight #1, the first book in a series that changes depending on whose perspective you're reading. So the question is, "whose eyes will you read through?"

Your real name and pen name?

My nom de plume is Eliabeth Hawthorne. Hawthorne is my mother's maiden name and Eliabeth was a typo. I meant Elizabeth, but decided to keep it.

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

I've always wanted to be a Disney Princess, but I never had the long hair so I wore tights on my head. My red tights made me Ariel, my black tights: Snow White, my white tights: Aurora.

About your education

I've never liked the starving artist lifestyle, so I have a BA in International Business and Japanese. 

What career did you plan during your education days

I've always wanted to own my  own business. When I was four years old, I hired neighborhood kids to create and sell Halloween Christmas ornaments. Originally, I thought my first business would be educational language toys or formal gowns. When I met my coauthor, we started a publishing company!

What languages you can speak and write?

Though not fluent, I can read and write Japanese.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life

So many people inspire me, it's hard to pick one. My mom has conquered every obstacle that comes her way. My coauthor Ermisenda has had enough faith in our writing to start a business with me. My friend Kim is able to find the positive in any situation.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

In high school, I had an international internship canceled by the new program head. I was able to contact my host family and work for their family owned insurance company for dual credit.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

I'd love to have a Freaky Friday moment with my coauthor. It would be an amazing opportunity to walk a mile in each other's shoes.

What is your favorite genre and why?

Fantasy! All fiction is great, but what makes fantasy my favorite genre is that the possibilities are endless. The author can create a whole new world, or have mystical creatures thrown into real settings. It can be a novel with witches, vampires, wizards, or iron frey.

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

In first grade, my teacher told me I was too young to write a chapter book, so I wrote a mini-series. My mom was called and I was labeled a trouble maker; I've been pushing boundaries ever since. Even though I've toyed with the idea of becoming a professional writer, I write to make people think. There are two every story. Imagine reading Harry Potter from Snape's point of view, how different thee story would be. That's the concept behind the Blind Sight series.

Which of your work published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

Our debut novel in the Blind Sight urban fantasy series has been published, with intentions to publish the second in 2014. 


A blind girl drawing is abnormal even on the magical island of Edaion where leaves brush themselves into piles in the middle of the night. So when Odette Reyes, a girl blind from birth, begins to experience ominous side effects of the island’s “gift,” her brother Leocardo and best friend Aniela must figure out what the doctors cannot. As an immigrant, Leocardo is not biased by accepted rules of magic and determines that Odette’s drawings are premonitions. Aniela grew up with magic and knows premonitions are impossible. She determines Odette is a medium channeling voiceless spirits. Who is right? Whose eyes will you read through?

Every book in this series comes in two volumes. The two volumes share a main plot, but is individualized to the perception and interpretation of one character. Each novel is a complete story on its own, but there are twists and secrets you’ll only learn reading both.

What are your forthcoming writings?

We host a weekly creative writing exercise on our blog (www.ermiliablog.wordpress.com) and have taken some of the best submissions over the years and turned them into an upcoming publication that benefits The Girl Effect. We're also working on book 2 in the Blind Sight series.

Your dream destination on Earth?

Pretty much any European castle or Tokyo. 

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

Born and raised Texan, I've been to Germany and Japan. In Germany, I admired that every job is considered important. A janitor is given as much respect as a doctor because toilets need to be cleaned and trash cans need to be emptied. In Japan, I was astonished at how clean everything was. My class participated in Maru Gomi, a national trash pickup day. After several miles, I'd come across fewer than ten pieces of trash.

Your favorite time of the day?

I'm a night owl. If I had my way, I'd never wake up before noon.

Your zodiac/ sunsign?

Aquarius Dragon. Maybe that's where my love of fantasy came from?

Your favorite color and why?

Silver.

Your favorite book and why?

Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin. I'm on my fifteenth read and I still chuckle. It has the perfect blend of fantasy, humor, and adventure.

Some quickies: 

Sun or Moon, Moon
Laughter or Smile, Laughter
Morning or Evening, 
Evening
Coffee or Tea, Coffee
Mountain or Sea, Sea
Long Drive or Short Drive, Long Drive
Silence or Conversation, Silence
Water or Fire, Water
Air or Earth, Earth
Mars or Jupiter, Jupiter
Tulip or Rose, Rose
Red or Blue, Blue
Left or Right, Right

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote

There are two sides to every story.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code