Sunday, April 28, 2013

Interview: Nidhi Sharma: Imaging Consultant And Certified Image Master


Tell us about your childhood memories...

Warm summer breeze, swimming, and cycling. I am a Railway bred child, as parents are doctors and served with the railways. So We lived in various small towns from Varanasi to Garhara to Gorakhpur to Baroda.
Reflecting back, I grew up in a happy carefree environment, where days were filled with school, sports (badminton, Basketball, Swimming) extracurricular activities and loads of family friends and cousins in and out of our home. 

Where did you have your schooling and advanced studies?

I started my formative years in Garhara (Bihar) and then moved to Gorakhpur for middle school, passed my 10th from Diesel Locomotive Works (DLW) Varanasi, 12th and graduation were done in Baroda. Thereafter I moved to Bombay (which has been home for last 23 years) to do my Diploma in Mass Communication from XIC. 

What is CIM and how is it so special?

CIM is Certified Image Master - it's assigned to Image Consultants by the official Image Consultant body Association of Image Consultants International (AICI). 
There are only 8 CIMs in the world and Ms. Judith Rasband is one of them, whose curriculum I have studied and have been certificated in the subject

What did you start your career as?

I started my career as an Advertising Executive - doing Time and space selling in a company called Showtime Communication in 1991 and then went on to work with India Today and Hindustan Times.

What led you to turn your career towards Imaging Consulting?

Being a "Services Kid" and a convent student, etiquette were a part of life. Social life was rather important to my parents as we attend loads of functions, considering my parents official position.
 We were to dress appropriately at all times, as did my parents. 
This has carried on in the adult life and I constantly saw myself observing how my colleagues and business associates, conducted themselves, dressed etc. 
As I grew into a senior position, I would end up grooming my teammates for appropriate business dressing and conduct... to the extent that that at one time one of my boss made me in charge of overseeing my colleagues appearance and ensuring that teams were always dressed appropriately for business meetings.
I was also on crossroads of my professional life, contemplating and exploring when I came across a small ad on the course in a newspaper... Somehow I just knew... this is it...

What are the objectives of imaging consulting?

The objective of Image Consulting; is to work on the 3 aspects of a person
1.       Appearance
2.       Behaviour 
3.       Communication 
The non-verbal aspect of human interaction that has 93% impact on all relationships (research proven)
I work with all 3 aspects, bringing in my skills as a trained counselor to assist people to project a persona that is true and authentic to them. 

What are your interests?

From reading to cooking, from outdoor sports to gardening, I try and enjoy varied activities. Currently, I am seeking and exploring the spiritual aspect on myself. 
But travel remains a constant passion and interest, I wish to travel to as many parts of the world as I can, in this lifetime.

Which NGOs are you associated with and why?

I am associated with 2 NGOs 
Red Dust India Foundation - they work with children bringing to them sports, health, and hygiene. I oversee their operations in 12 of the schools that they operate in. 
I choose to work with them because I feel privileged to have such good upbringing and so much goodness in my life, and this is my way of saying "thank you" for the same. 

I-Create is the other NGO that I am associated with. 
I-Create works with youth in government vocational training centers, teaching them entrepreneurial skills. These students need "soft -Skills" to "fit-in" the corporate/business worlds, to come at par with those who have had more privilege backgrounds.
I am very appreciative of what I-Create is doing i.e giving these students a chance to propel themselves and dream big...If I can add a small bit, to even one student, through my skill sets, which can be useful to them, then I consider it my privilege, hence, I take sessions on Appearance & Body language and Etiquette for I-Create, whenever they invite me for one.

How did you get associated with music?

My husband is a music producer and record label owner, that's how serious music came to be part of my life. My association with him has gotten me to work on a few projects.

What are you passionate about while dealing with your clients?

My only aim, through the personal coaching or workshops, is to share what I know and hope to be able to give my clients a tool that they can use for their growth. Success is a perception, of its owner and those around us... through Image management, I hope to assist my clients to create those impressions that give them better chances to it.

What are your core expertise areas?

 My expertise is assisting people to understand themselves "a little better"... 

What are your future plans?

I wish to do Life coaching  and Corporate image management course in the coming year, to add to my expertise and knowledge. 
My ultimate aim is "Saransh"... the complete ... I want of offer modules that will help individuals to works on their inside and carry it forth to their outside...the amalgamation  of our inner core with our outer persona. 

badge buzzoole code