Monday, February 15, 2016

Laurie Woodward - When We Are True To Ourselves, Magic Happens

When We Are True To Ourselves, Magic Happens – Laurie Woodward


An interesting interview with Laurie Woodward – A fantastico Author, Teacher, and Peace Lover


Laurie Woodward is extensively working towards Anti-bullying and Peace Resolution across borders




I recently wrote an article on Laurie Woodward’s drive towards anti-bullying and peace resolution across borders. She is a peace lover by heart. Her heart bleeds when she comes across bullying cases among the children. She is doing a lot in this direction. She is a true global ambassador of anti-bullying and peace resolution.

Welcome, Laurie. I really loved your touching line – “When we are true to ourselves, magic happens”. It is a wonderful statement to apply to life. I could see how a small collection of words can do wonders. It all speaks of clarity of mind, life, and ideas.

Laurie Woodward - When We Are True To Ourselves, Magic Happens
Laurie at a book launch

Your real name and pen name? Laurie Woodward

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood Every summer I attended camp on Catalina Island where I snorkeled in kelp beds, hiked with buffalo, watched wild pigs root, sailed with flying fish, skied over glassy salt waters, and sang around the campfire. All the while I developed bonds with friends that still make me smile today.

About your education: Teachers Without Borders Peace Education Certificate. CLAD certified to work with second language learners. Bilingual in Spanish and English. Ryan Act Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, K-8 from California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo, CA
B.A. in Social Work from San Diego State University-San Diego, CA

What career did you plan during your education days I was going to be a social worker helping abused children.

Laurie Woodward - When We Are True To Ourselves, Magic Happens
Laurie with her daughter and son

What languages you can speak and write? I speak Spanish and English. I was a bilingual elementary school teacher for 7 years.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life? Everything!
What hurts you most in this world? I hate seeing cruelty towards others or the environment.

What is your favorite genre and why? I love reading Science Fiction because it transports one to a future where hope is possible.

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing? I started writing as a child to deal with the bullying I was facing and as a way to deal with the swirling emotions surrounding my parents’ divorce.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work? As an author, my published works include Artania, Forest Secrets and co-writing The Dolphin Legacy.  I was also a collaborator on the Dean and JoJo anti-bullying DVD Resolutions.  Every book contains a lasting message of hope showing the reader that when one is true to him/herself bullies can be defeated in both real and fantasy worlds.
In Forest Secrets, children learn about the necessity of care for nature and the forest and apply it to other environments. The message is about teaching children to care for the environment and its inhabitants.  When an eleven-year-old girl befriends a tree creature, she uncovers a plot to illegally log in a protected forest. She then sets off on an adventure to save all tree people and an endangered species from destruction. 

Laurie Woodward - When We Are True To Ourselves, Magic Happens

In Artania: The Pharaohs’ Cry children learn that when they are true to themselves magical things happen. When two boys meet they have no idea that their shared passion for art will lead them into a painted and sculpted world that only they can save from destruction. This epic tale takes the 11 year-olds through a series of oozing slime battles, skateboarding escapes, and creation quests as they help their Artanian friends rescue captured pharaohs.
Laurie Woodward - When We Are True To Ourselves, Magic Happens

The Dolphin Legacy (Cowriter) this is the true story of a profound interspecies friendship between man and dolphin beautifully archived with rare photos.

What are your forthcoming writings? Artania II: The Kidnapped Smile is complete and ready for publication. Artania III: Dragonless Sky is a few pages from completion.

What genres you write in and why? I usually write fantasy because I get to become a kid again and go on amazing adventures.

What keeps you motivating towards writing? I love the process, that place I go to in my mind. When I skip a day writing I feel like something is missing.

If Writing a Book is taken as a project, What are the key essentials you take care of in Project Management? Setting a schedule and sticking to it are very important as a writer. If you don’t continue to practice daily, you will not improve your craft and meaningful projects will remain trapped inside your mind.
What are your future plans? I plan to write seven Artania books, learn about screenplay writing, produce anti-bullying curriculum and videos, and spread the message of peace to children from my classroom to the globe.

Laurie Woodward - When We Are True To Ourselves, Magic Happens

What is generally your preference in reading – a paper book or ebook? And why? I prefer holding a paper book in my hands. It is associated with memories of peaceful moments in childhood.

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book? I try to have fun, suspense, unique plots, and the hero’s journey in each of my books. I rewrite each one multiple time until I imagine a kid could be so enthralled with the story that he/she is there.

How much real life goes into a fiction writing? While each of my characters are a little bit me, at the same time they are nothing like me. I use imagination rather than real people to mold my characters. I do draw upon those issues I faced as a child: bullying, divorce, feeling out of place among other kids, the awkwardness of youth. But for the most part, I dream and the situations and characters just come.

Is a high level of imagination important to have for an Author? Absolutely essential.

Your dream destination on Earth? I’ve traveled a bit from Europe to South America to Australia and the Caribbean. My favorite trips involved exploring the history of a place. So while I don’t have just one dream destination, I would say that I’m drawn to places where the myths of my culture originated. I’ve read so many Greek myths I would love to see where the gods of old walked.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?I was born and raised in California in the US. I’ve been to Australia, Peru, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Grand Cayman, England, Wales, Scotland, France, and Italy. I’ve loved the scuba diving and hiking in tropical waters and the hiking in the jungles of the Yucatan. I’ve scaled Mayan pyramids and felt the ancient Incan stones of Machu Picchu. I’ve been alone with my family in castle ruins in Wales and stood next to cairns in Scotland on the summer solstice. Smiling faces across the globe have welcomed me into their homes.
Favorite for natural trips? Swimming with wild dolphins in Australia, watching glaciers calve in Alaska and hiking over recently hardened lava fields in Hawaii.
Favorite for history? Italy for the Colosseum, Venice, and art of the masters. Scotland for castle stairwells, hidden bookcases, and ancient burial grounds.

Favorite time of the day? Morning is for writing when dreams and reality are blurred.

Laurie Woodward - When We Are True To Ourselves, Magic Happens
Laurie in Sydney, Australia

Your zodiac/ sun sign? Libra

Your favorite color and why? Purple because it’s fun!

What is the last book you finished reading? What is the current book you are reading? I just read The Life of Pi by Martel.

Your favorite book and why? I love Stranger in a Strange Land because it gives us hope.

Your favorite movie and why? I love The Matrix because it made me question my own beliefs.

Your favorite food? I love Mexican food.

Your favorite sports? I dance, hike, jog, lift weights, and do cross-fit at the gym. Love water sports too like kayaking, snorkeling or scuba diving, sailing.

What is the force that drives you? Believing I can do better.

What comes to your mind when you think of India? I think of my cousins who are half Indian and how they make me smile. I think of Indian immigrants who have been my students.

First thing you do in the morning after waking up? I write.

The last thing to do before sleep? I read.

If one fine morning you wake up and find your sex changed to the opposite, what will be your first reaction? Ahhh!

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote When we are true to ourselves, magic happens.

Links & other relevant details: Please click here for Artania site and here for deananddojostory site

ISBN-10: 0692510990
ISBN-13: 978-0692510995
Her book link is here.
Publisher: Create Space



Once again, thank you, Laurie, for this wonderful interview. You are a fantastico author, peace lover, teacher and a global anti-bullying ambassador across borders. I am taking a great lesson from you – When we are true to ourselves, magic happens.

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can  apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

1 comment :

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code