Monday, September 29, 2014

Author Interview: Ginger Gelsheimer: Dark Days Series Fourth Episode: Dark Beginnings Releasing Sept 30


Your real name and pen name?

The same, I don’t use a pen name.

About your education

BS in Marketing, 15 years in commercial real estate investment sales and a hefty education in “life skills”.

What career did you plan during your education days?

Marketing and business. Starving artists didn’t pay well. Today, I write and also co-manage a company called Authors’ Cave that helps authors with their self publishing needs.

What hurts you most in this world?

How cruel people can be to each other. We are all special in some way. We all serve some purpose. If we were all perfect Barbie dolls with perfect houses and tons of money and the perfect lives, how boring life would be. As a writer, you learn to appreciate all of your characters – good, bad and ugly, which also has shown me more appreciation for others who aren’t just like me.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? 

The thought of going to my death bed and not pursing my dream 1000%. When you want to create and you don’t or can’t because life is too busy somewhere else, it can lead to actual depression. I always have to write or paint or draw, anything creative. How did you overcome it? I jumped out of a high intensity and political nightmare corporate job and took two years off to solely focus on writing. 

What is your favorite genre and why? 

Horror – Poe, Rice and King are 3 of my favorite story crafters. Salem’s Lot, The Shining and Nightmare on Elm Street were some of my favorite movies when I was a kid. I don’t write it because I’d scare myself to death and wouldn’t be able to sleep. I come up with a lot of things in dreams.

When did you start writing? 

I started telling stories at the lunch table in 3rd included , of course, the people that sat at my table every day. We were sleuths trying to 
solve gory murders. I would tell a chapter each day. I finally got out an old typewriter and banged it out into a book that I bound with some cardboard and shelving paper. I still have it! 

I wrote a sequel right after it, was going to be the next Hardy Boys / Nancy Drew series and then I got into boys or something. I didn’t write again for fun until I graduated college.

What is the purpose of your writing? 

The purpose of my writing is to get these crazy characters out of my head and keep them happy. If they want their story to be told and you sit on your arse, they will make you insane.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work? 

I have published two series so far. The first, Aurora Conspiracy, already has Book 1 of the Trilogy (Quest of the Hybrid) and four prequel episodes that go back in time (Crash Landing, Conflict Rising, Calm Before the Storm and Chaos Unleashed).

I also write The Dark Days series which was inspired by a prequel for the Hunger Games. I wanted to know what actually caused the destruction to Earth that led to the formation of the 13 districts. I wanted to know the details of the Rebellion and who the players were. I wanted to know how the first game came about and who started it and why. That crazy imagination of mine took over and the series came to life!

What are your forthcoming writings? 

I am releasing Dark Beginnings, the fourth episode in the Dark Days series on September 30 with my daughter, Taylor. We are super excited because it has taken us a year to get this one done, but it is probably our favorite. I am currently working on Book 2 in the Aurora Conspiracy Trilogy with my writing partner Christina Keats. Look for some exciting twists and turns in this one!

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book? 

My garden so it won’t die. My daughter because I love her. My characters because they will scream at me. My furry family members because they are high maintenance. Forget anything else. Not sure that is how you meant the question, but that is the answer for me.

How much real life goes into a fiction writing? 

I would say a lot. I wouldn’t have know the answer to that 3 or 4 years ago, but the more writers I’ve gotten to know and read, the more I see real life in every story in some flavor. 

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author? 

Since my imagination is insane and always has been, I would have to say yes. You can be a polished English expert, but if you can’t turn a blank canvas into a magical, emotional ride, than you probably should stick to editing because computer software can’t really generate original ideas. 

Your dream destination on Earth? 

I would have to say Rincon, Puerto Rico. I’ve been there twice now and I love the diving on Desecheo Island, the quaintness of the small beach area, watching the surfers, eating sushi at Pools, and the fact that the only highway running through town is named 413 The Road to Happiness. I hope to live there one day. Florida isn’t so bad for now though.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. 

I was born in Miami, Florida. I have been to England, Holland, Canada, Barbados, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Domican Republic, Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Mexico...I think that covers it. I would like to go to Spain, Ireland, Scottland, Australia, New Zealand -off the top of my head.

What best things you liked in these countries you visited around the globe? 

I loved the history of Amsterdam and London, buildings with intricate carvings and architecture...and bullet holes. Tons of museums, which I love! And great accents and culture. Around the Gulf, I love the different islands and tons of diving spots! Canada was beautiful around Lake Simcoe to the north, and a blast for a conference in Toronto. Rincon is where I want to retire though...enough said.

Your favorite time of the day? 

Now. I like living in the moment.

Your zodiac/ sunsign? 

Aquarius

Your favorite color and why? 

Green. Probably because I love nature, it’s calming and I love green eyes which my daughter has a stunning pair of.

What is the last book you finished reading? 

I just finished reading Chaysing Memories by author Jalpa Williby. Excellent coming of age series about a girl who seems to just have 
everything too perfect. In fact, just about the time I was going to call the story out for it, I got the rollercoaster!

What is the current book you are reading? 

I plan to read a beta read for Rivers of Sand, the fourth book in the Eno the Thracian series by C.B. Pratt. This has become one of my all time favorites. It’s about a “Hero for Hire” named Eno who gets called in to do the dirty work of ridding people of the mischievous gods, wherever they may be from. Excellent series! It’s one I will probably read more than once, maybe more than twice! 

Your favorite book and why? 

Can I have two? A Christmas Carol is certainly there as I try to read it every Christmas. It’s a classic and it might be what actually turned me onto ghosts and other supernatural interests, which leads me to my other book, Interview with a Vampire (and all of the books that go with it). Anne Rice is the queen of vamps and will always hold that title for me. She wove wonderfully romantic, but absolutely vicious characters in the series. Lestat is probably my favorite fictional character of all time. His charming ruthlessness and the fun he has purposefully torturing Louie. But he gets his karma...what she did to the poor guy in Tale of the Body Thief was soooo fun!

Your favorite celebrity and why? 

It’s not even close for me - Johnny Depp holds that title and has since I was a kid because I have loved him and watched him grow from when he did Nightmare on Elm Street and he was just the hot guy named Glen. Since then, I respect how he has stayed true to the artist inside of him, taking on creative rolls like Edward Scissorhands, Alice in Wonderland and my very favorite, Captain Jack Sparrow. 

Your favorite movie and why? 

Pirates of the Caribbean which dethroned Raiders of the Lost Ark after two decades. I loved everything about the movie—the story, witty, spot on dialogue, the cinematography—I mean that scene when the skeletons are shown walking below the water and the music score is perfect! It’s my favorite scene in the movie. And of 
course, it comes with Johnny Depp in what I personally think is his best roll ever.

Your favorite food? 

My honey-peppered cedar plank salmon! I can’t take credit for how amazing it is—and I have friends who won’t order salmon at a restaurant because they say they’ll only be disappointed—but it came from an Alaskan mother of three sons who cooks salmon 300 days a year. Here’s the recipe if you want it. Honey-Peppered Cedar Planked Salmon

What comes to your mind when you think of India? 

A billion people.

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote 

You can only hit what you aim for so shoot for the stars.

The last line of your autobiography would be... 

I did what I wanted and I’m happy. Thank you Universe.

Links:
Twitter handle: https://twitter.com/DarkDaysPrequel

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheDarkDaysSeries

Goodreads author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/
7150275.Ginger_Gelsheimer

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Ginger-Gelsheimer/e/B00CNHQVZ6/
ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1410819825&sr=8-1

Website www.auroraconspiracy.com

www.authorscave.com

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code