Saturday, December 07, 2013

Author Interview: E J Squires: My Dad Carved A Wooden Doll For Me On My B'Day

Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers
Your real name and pen name?

Real: Evelyn J. Squires  pen: E. J. Squires


Please share some of the best memories of your childhood


I love this question. I have some awesome memories. Growing up, my family was very poor. I remember one summer my parents had a hard time even keeping food on the table. We had just moved to an old run-down wood home in Wasington state. After having lived there for a few days, we noticed there were tons of blackberries and raspberries growing in the back yard. We picked a whole bunch of them and sold them in front of our house to make money. That summer was my birthday, and my parents couldn't afford to buy me a birthday present. So my dad, a great handy-man, carved a wooden doll for me. I still remember exactly what it looked like. Oddly enough, it's theonly present I remember receiving growing up. I also loved playing outdoors in Norway in the summer and wintertime. It's a great place to live for a child, because you can just step outside, and you're in the woods, or close to a lake or an old abandoned hut with lots of places to explore.



About your education?


My parents moved around a lot. My father was (and still is) an entrepreneur. We moved from city to city, house to house, and also several times back and forth between Norway and the US. I spent most of my elementary school days in the US. Then when I was eight, we moved back to Norway, where I sated until I was a freshman in High School. After finishing High School in the US, I attended Utah Valley University, and eventually Brigham Young University. Initially I majored in Comparative Literature and Humanities, but when I married I switched my major to Ballet. After I became pregnant with our first child, it was hard to dance, and when we moved to Florida for my husband's job transfer, I stayed at home with our first child. I never completed college, but maybe one day, I'll go back since I only have a few more credit left!


What career did you plan during your education days?


I always wanted to be a professional ballerina. And though I did perform with several professional dance companies, it became difficult to maintain the hectic schedule when my first child came along. I even opened a ballet studio and ran it for 6 years. But when the opportunity to write full time came along, I knew I had found my new passion, and have never looked back since!

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

I love reading and I love music. Most of my inspiration is drawn from books (fiction and non-fiction) and listening to music (a lot of classical, and a lot of soundtracks from movies). Another inspiration is my children and my family in general. And I am a big dreamer. I always want to have a bigger than life goal out in front to move toward. It keeps me going.


What hurts you most in this world?


When I was in high school, I remember seeing a news report on Rwanda genocide, and I just began crying. I thought the hatred of another nation, of other people was so heart-breaking. I don't understand how other human beings can be so cruel toward others. It really hurts me to see people treat others poorly.


What is the biggest challenge you have faced? Were you able to overcome it? How?


My biggest challenge, I'd have to say, was owning my own business. I'm not particularly fond of customer service, so that makes it even more difficult! When owning a ballet studio, I was so much about the art, not the numbers and business aspects. But I soon learned that I needed to pay very closely attention to these other (in my opinion at the time, boring) things. The business side of the art didn't come naturally to me. I hated listening to customer complaints, because I would take it personally. And what did they know about ballet anyway? I would tell myself. In the end, all they wanted was to be assured that their children were on the right path, and that I cared about them. Inthe beginning, I just wanted the dancers to look good. But I soon realized that if I didn't develop the business side of it, and become a better people person, I would't have a business! It's not that I didn't care about my clients, it's just that my focus was so much on the art form thatthe clients took second place. I think there is a way to have the best of both worlds: excellent customer service and excellent art.

What is your favorite genre and why?


My favorite genre is historical fiction. If it has some romance in it, I'll love it even more, and if it has some mysticism, even better. I like being able to transport myself into another time, and also learn while I'm reading.


What is the purpose of your writing?


To entertain, inspire and educate.


Which of your work published so far?


I self-published "Winter Solstice Winter" on amazon.com. It's receiving awesome reviews!

Though I did send out some query letters, I thought it took too long. I'm kind of an over-achiever, and an impatient one at that! So I decided to go the self-publishing route.

What are your forthcoming writings?

In December 2013, the second book in the Viking Saga will be published through amazon, too. It's called "Summer Solstice Summer."

What are your future plans?

I will finish this first series "A Viking Blood Saga" at the end of next year, and then I will start on a new project. Maybe another series? Not quite sure. I'd like to attend some Writer's Conferences and network more with other authors.


What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?


It's important to get a great editor. I also like developing the relationships between characters, that's where the juice is for me. Internal dialogue is important when developing a character, so that needs to be stellar. And in the end, I really like having suspense and action.



Your dream destination on Earth?

Norway, always Norway..



Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?


I was born in Asker, Norway, and have lived there and in the USA. I have visited Mexico, Sweden, Finland and Denmark. I love the beauty ofthe scandinavian countries, and the genuine people.

I love how varied the US is. The people are inspirational, and the opportunities endless.


Your favorite time of the day?


Morning. That's when I have the most energy, and all the possibilities of the day are still fresh. That's also when I prefer to write.



Your zodiac/ sunsign?


I'm a gemini.




Your favorite color and why?


I don't have one favorite color, but I do go through phases where I like certain colors better. Right now I'm in a purple phase.



Your favorite book and why?


I really enjoyed "The Alchamist" by Paulo Coelho. Fabulous read! It's easy to read, has so many enlightening truths in it, and is filled with inspirational messages from cover to cover.

Your favorite celebrity and why?

I love Oprah. She is such an inspiration, and uses her celebrity to help others.
Your favorite food?

Anything with chocolate... is that a food?



Some quickies:


Sun or Moon: Sun 
Laughter or Smile: Laughter 
Morning or Evening: Morning

Coffee or Tea: Herbal tea! 

Mountain or Sea: Mountain 
Long Drive or Short Drive: Short Drive 
Silence or Conversation: Silence



Best quote: 


You are confined only by the walls you build yourself - Anonymous

Some relevant links are:

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code