Saturday, April 19, 2014

Author Interview: Luke Christodoulou: THE OLYMPUS KILLER: A GREEK ISLAND MYSTERIES THRILER

Me 'dressed up'
He is an English teacher (MA Applied Linguistics – University of Birmingham), a poet and an e-book author. ‘The Olympus Killer’ is his first book. The book has so far made it into the top50 bestselling books on kindle in the category ‘International Mystery and Crime’. He is currently working on the second and third book from the Greek Island Mysteries book series. He resides in Limassol, Cyprus with his wife and daughter. Hobbies include travelling the Greek Islands discovering new food and possible murder sites for his stories.

Welcome and thanks Luke!

Your real name and pen name?

Luke Christodoulou

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

My mother reading to me at nights. Me reading my first book ever (The witch, the lion and the wardrobe). Playing out in the streets with my friends. The ice cream man passing by every evening on hot summer evenings. Going to the cinema and watching just about everything!

About your education

exploring the Greek Islands
I studied Education at Ioannina University in Greece and Applied Linguistics at Birmingham University in the UK. Been studying life for the last 31 years on planet earth.

What career did you plan during your education days

Primary teacher and the plan worked out. Been teaching the little ones (ages 6-12) for the last 8 years.

What languages you can speak and write?

I am bilingual. I am fluent in English and Greek. Proud of the 10 words I know in Spanish, Russian and French!

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life

Life. Every little detail could spark an explosion of ideas.

What hurts you most in this world

Death. Injustice. Hunger. Child abuse. Racism.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

Accepting life and who I truly am. Still have not overcome my fear of dying. I can’t accept the idea that one day, I will be no more.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

Island hopping
Marco Polo (or maybe Cook, Columbus, Magellan). Before Google maps; when it was possible to travel and still discover new places.

What is your favorite genre and why?

Thrillers all the way! Because they thrill me J I like many genres but love anything that thrills me, scares me, has me in suspense, and drives me nuts with guessing the killer.

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

I have been writing since I can remember. I need to get the thoughts out of my head and onto paper (or screen). I decided to publish with main goal to entertain people. I love hearing feedback from people from all over the world saying how they stayed up all night reading my work.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

So far, just the one book. THE OLYMPUS KILLER: A GREEK ISLAND MYSTERIES THRILER. But it is selling great and has made kindle’s bestsellers. Reviews on Amazon and Goodreads have all been five stars. I am a very happy boy!

What are your forthcoming writings?

I am currently working on the second book that will be subtitled A Greek Island Mysteries Thriller and will feature Captain Papacosta and Lieutenant Ioli Cara (the characters of my first book).

What are your future plans?

Keep loving life. Keep travelling. Keep teaching. And of course keep writing. The plan is a book a year!

How much real life goes into a fiction writing?

Listening to music on the road to the port
Every place we go, every person we meet, every event we witness or hear, every piece of music and food can become part of our fictional world. There is no particular ratio. Sometimes a chapter is more ‘real life’ than fiction, sometimes the opposite!

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

Definitely. You could  be great at writing but if your story is lacking imagination, you have nothing.

Your dream destination on Earth?

Looking for good Greek food
Barbados! (And visiting the Greek Islands that I have not yet visited!)

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

Born in London on a rainy September day. Moved to Cyprus at the tender age of five. Lived in Greece for four years. Have travelled ‘only’ through Europe. I love seeing new places, meeting new people, eating new food...

Your favorite time of the day?

Night time.

Your zodiac/ sunsign?

Virgo.

Your favorite color and why?

Looking for murder sites for THE OLYMPUS KILLER
Blue! I am half GreekCypriot. I am in love with the sea!

Your favorite book and why?

Lord of the Rings. I love the setting, the characters, the story and I admire the amount of work it took to create.

Your favorite celebrity and why?

Angelina Jolie. Beautiful, talented, humanitarian.

Your favorite food?
Octopus with red wine (some say I cook it better than restaurants!).

Some quickies (bold ones are Luke's selections): 
Sun or Moon
Laughter or Smile, 
Morning or Evening,
Coffee or Tea, 
Mountain or Sea
Long Drive or Short Drive, 
Silence or
Conversation, 
Water or Fire (Both!)
Air or Earth, 
Mars or Jupiter, 
Moon or Sun, 
Tulip or Rose
Red or Blue
Left or Right

What three words come to your mind for each –

Technology needed evil? hmm,
Life, beautiful, exciting, stimulating!
Humanity, could be better
Racism, its 2014 people!
Childhood Abuse, sick, sick, sick
Love, love my wife
Parenting, love my daughter
Old age Scares me plenty
Me in Santorini (book 2 setting)

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote

‘Evil under the Greek sun’ (My favourite tagline)
‘The Greek James Patterson’ (Trust your mother to overreact! Her best quote by far)

The last line of your autobiography would be…

and having attained immortality he continued writing for ever and ever...

Links:
Twitter handle: GreekIslandMysteries @Olympus Killer

Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Greek-Island-Mysteries/712190782134816?fref=nf




No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code