Monday, February 11, 2013

Author Interview: DW Brown: A Journey From Killing Fields In Military To Penning A Superb Novel



We are interacting with DW Brown today who has been greatly influenced and inspired by Stephen King. He joined army right after his schooling and has retired recently after serving for 20 long years.

Hello David. Before talking about so many other talents, let us hear about the beginning of your career and various achievements thereafter.

Hello, I grew up in the Appalachia Region of Eastern Kentucky. I spent 20 years in the Army before retiring and moving down to Alabama from Fort Campbell, Kentucky. During my time in the military, I deployed to Cambodia, Kwajalein Atoll, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Afghanistan. I feel fortunate to travel to many foreign countries, and see so many amazing and horrible things. This combination of the good and the bad each area had to offer has really helped pay off in my writing.

How and in what way writings of Stephen King inspire you?


King’s blend of every day ordinary events with fiction always fascinated me.  I remember reading it as a young eight year old boy and being scared out of my mind.  I tailored some of my writing style after him in my second novel, Barter for Life.

How experience of 20 years in army has come handy in your new career of writing?

I deployed to Cambodia during my fifth year in the military and got the opportunity to see the Killing Fields, along with many other horrifying things there.  They had a four level structure with steps and platforms which showcased human skulls stacked on top of each other, and it has stuck with me ever since. 

My fourth novel, To Know Death is set in Cambodia and takes the reader through the evil Colonel Pol Pot wrought upon his own people in that country.  I’m really excited about this novel, having experienced firsthand such atrocity.

What are your current activities and also tell about your family.

I currently live in Alabama near Redstone Arsenal, working as a Senior Analyst for the military there.  I am married with three girls, and enjoy hanging out with friends and family, exercising and writing.

Now let us discuss about your writing skills. Please elaborate.

My novel, Lost Time is currently available through Barnes and Noble, through Booksamillion and on Amazon, and my second novel, Barter for Life is due out around the end of February.

What are your goals for 2013?

I’m sure like every author out there, my main objective is to reach the bestseller list.  I have four other novels that will be released throughout this year, and I’m praying for one of them (preferably all of them) reaches the top.

Writing is my dream.   Penning a novel that others actually read and enjoy is beyond anything I ever could’ve imagined.  I’ve wanted to do this since I was in high school, but the military came first.  I’m excited to see where this road leads me, and hopeful that I’ll actually be able to quit my job as an analyst and do this full time.

If you’re reading this, I ask that you support this retired military officer by picking up a copy of Lost Time.

Coming soon:
Barter for Life (end of February)
Unconscious Lies (April 2013)
To Know Death (July 2013)
Family Lineage (September 2013)

badge buzzoole code